Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: No Alts vs Alta
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:33 pm 

Server: Thorium Brotherhood (US)
I was curious on the peoples opinion of the opinion of alts looking at the pros and cons

Without an alt you progress your one character further and easier to sign up for more heroics and raids and pvp and all that good stuff and more time to learn and master your class vs.

Alt/Alts get to see filmilar areas test an area of combat you are not accustomed to, try a different set of professions and the joys of leveling again.

would anyone like to discuss or add to this?

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: No Alts vs Alta
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:50 pm 

Server: Silver Hand
PROS: You get to experience and understand how that class works better. As a raid leader this is extremely helpful since you can offer better suggestions and your questions are better informed.

CONS: People like to bring their undergeared alts to raids they shouldn't be on. People also tend to know far less about an alt than about their mains (coupled with bad gear this can be the equivalent of an empty slot).

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 am 

Server: Deathwing-EU
I make alts when I'm burned out with the game, and to try something new.

I did it some time ago when I made my rogue to have an escape from warrior tanking. I did it again later making a druid to see caster side of dps (which didn't go well, but he's now a tree and I like healing a lot).

I did it once more lately, making a horde alt on a different realm - just to see the other half of the game.

Most of all it's just refreshing to learn how a new class works. It's true that I will level it to the point where I can experience raids with it, but I don't insist on that with the raid leader, it's rather a convenience thing. And yes, I would know how to play it and would have it geared properly for that.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:13 am 

Server: Draenor US
I'm no altoholic, I only have 3 toons. i never really thought of the pros and cons for me. I guess the pros would be having experienced healing and caster dps(druid), melee dps and the fine art of sneaking (rogue), and ranged dps with a pet (hunter). I have no cons personally, I put as much effort into learning to play them as I would my main (the druid), and even though I don't expect to raid with them, I do my best to get them ready gearwise.

I have a friend who gets bored at 80. He regularly levels to 80, gets fully geared, and levels others at the same time. At one time he was our Jack of All Raids. He had equally well geared tank, healer, and dps toons, and could fill any role we needed in our old guild. All pros there. He currently has 2 80's on Draenor, and 3 or 4 more on Khaz Goroth.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:50 pm 

Server: Muradin
I might possibly be considered an Altaholic :P I have 3 Lv.80 toons and a host of mid level alts (Lv.40-ish) I am the MT for my guild on my warrior and I used to heal BC raids on my Priest, I DPS'd BC and Wrath on my Hunter and Mage.

I made so many because I saw so many people not pull their weight I wondered why they played an inferior class. Obviously that was incorrect logic, as almost every class can excel at their role. It helped me to learn how and why certain classes operate in group settings and I feel it made me more effective as a player.

the Cons would be that I like helping people and sometimes they don't think they need nor do they want my advice. I either say nothing now or if it is glaring I ask if they would mind some. Other than being called elitist, or being accused of having no life I saw alts are good for personal development.

www.trollnation.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:55 pm 

Server: Vashj
With lack of better things to do in Azeroth during the summer, I dug up my old little druid who was resting neatly in the Crossroads. In the past I have been a pretty anti-alt person. I've had my raiding mage which I've focused on a lot, alts never even tempted me a tiny bit. However, trying to understand all the altoholics out there, I'm fighting my way as a kitty in the mid-20s. The fight is hard for me, motivating like hell sometimes, downright gruesome other days.

In other words; I'm a no-alt-person. But I'm trying to understand now. I've come out of my anti-alt cave, and I'm trying to understand the addiciton a lot of people have. Think I've spent too little time alting tho, as my enthusiasm still is on the border of mellow.

Of course, having alts have many pros. You get to understand a lot of classes from a whole new view, and this can help you further on while playing your main. Understanding is always good. And for some, it seems hella fun. Some kids seem to enjoy having their chars scattered all over Azeroth.

Cons pop up just as often for pros in my head tho. Trying to be god in both healing, tanking and dpsing can give you a small understanding of some classes, but no deep knowledge of the one main thing you play.

If a man runs around flirting to a whole bunch of pretty ladies, he'll probably go home with none. Or, well, he could get lucky and get them all. (Freakish way to put it, but bear with me here. Just a wacky example.) For some, fully indulging in one class, and maybe even just one spec, might be the right thing. Others need to taste a bit of everything to feel good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:39 pm 

Server: Area 52
As someone leveling a serverful of chars to 80, I'm fairly biased. I will say that I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. There are pros and cons that you will need to evaluate against your playing style. My hunter is my priority, he's the one that I strive for decent raid gear on, rep grinding, etc. The other 9 chars, while some have been able to get decent gear now and again (my Shammy was healing Kara just fine in BC), I don't make it the priority. They are there to experience WoW from a different perspective. Not only that, it's damn handy having all professions available from your own login screen :) But in the end, it comes down to how YOU want to play the game. Do what's fun for you. That gets lost sometimes in the heat of things.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:39 am 

Server: Steamwheedle Cartel
I have several alts, but I raid actively on only 2 of them. I place my characters in one of 3 categories:

* Raiders (Mains, such as Natarumah)
* Utility (Such as my alchemy alt, bank alt and such)
* Relaxation alt (The rest)

To prevent the "undergeared alts on progression runs" idea I only raid 25mans with Natarumah, while taking Nazhtarune, my resto druid, into the 10mans. Utility alts I level only as much as is needed to perform their function. This is why my mage had alchemy 450 (for Flasks and Wild Magic potions) at level 72. Now that she has cold-weather flying I will explore Northrend for XP and get the herbs I need at bargain (free) price.

Relaxation alts I have out of curiosity or because I want to experience a new class. For this reason I started up a hunter, warrior and warlock. While I have no illusions that they will hit 80 any time soon or perform a useful function, I enjoy playing them and sometimes RP with them.