Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gear Posts, Love them or Hate them?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:54 pm 

I've been writing a lot of X peice of gear is better than Y peice of gear and I've kind of gotten self conscious about it.

I kinda can't help loving seeing lots of search engine traffic since Warriors seem to be searching this stuff out, I also love learning about my class and the gear/math behind it.

However, I have come to think of them as "work horse" peices they're all about the math and rarely get the creative juices going.

I know that personally the only posts I really just glance through and dont pay attention to are the ones that go like this: "we killed X boss tonight using Y strategy and it was really cool, but oh btw: we've had him on farm for 6 months..." But I wonder sometimes if gear posts aren't a bit like that in that a lot of readers would just glance over them?

My solution was to do something like this. What do you think, does that make it more interesting or does it just pull away from the main point?

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:44 pm 

From what I noticed on my other site (from the incoming keywords) people search for gear tables more than specific gear items. For example, they'll search for "best pre-raiding gear" or "best <class> leveling gear" or "best <class> endgame gear".

The way you wrapped it up is really nice though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:36 am 

Server: Silver Hand
I definitely like the way you did it. I'm not interested in phat gear or my guild killed X boss, raar, because I prefer to know more about the individual playing than what they're wearing. Your approach was a good compromise because I still get to see your personal flavor on the game and you get to list what you got and talk about it. Nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:15 am 

Agree with above.

I like gear posts with info on rare items with an interesting proc or look. Things that may be hard to get or in the old content that people have forgotten about.

High level drop posts don't do too much for me unless pertaining to the Tier bonuses, which are much more difficult to understand at times than attribute loot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:09 pm 

Server: Rexxar - US
Nice, I like how you did that. :) It was a fun read and it was educational too. I'll probably never see that item but its nice to know how it compares to one of my current tanking rings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:26 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am definitely going to put more mini-stories into my work. I really enjoy doing them so since you all think they improve the work... well let's just say I'll enjoy incorporating them. ^_^

Post subject: Re: Gear Posts, Love them or Hate them?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:07 pm 

Server: Malfurion
Dezdemone wrote:
I've been writing a lot of X peice of gear is better than Y peice of gear and I've kind of gotten self conscious about it.

I kinda can't help loving seeing lots of search engine traffic since Warriors seem to be searching this stuff out, I also love learning about my class and the gear/math behind it.

However, I have come to think of them as "work horse" peices they're all about the math and rarely get the creative juices going.

I know that personally the only posts I really just glance through and dont pay attention to are the ones that go like this: "we killed X boss tonight using Y strategy and it was really cool, but oh btw: we've had him on farm for 6 months..." But I wonder sometimes if gear posts aren't a bit like that in that a lot of readers would just glance over them?

My solution was to do something like this. What do you think, does that make it more interesting or does it just pull away from the main point?

It certainly makes the post more interesting to read, but I think it might lose some audience to gain some audience. Here's what I mean. To the rest of the blogosphere, that post is more of a storytelling experience than your average gear comparison post, so other bloggers and general readership might increase. However, info-seekers might skim the first few lines and say "this isn't what I'm looking for" and move on somewhere else, where a simple statement up front about the posts intentions might hold the info-seeker in place longer (consider it a Taunt!).

From a personal standpoint, I generally avoid gear and guild progress posts, as I don't like reading them. But, many people love them.

/shrug
To each his or her own.