Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2 quick, newbish WP questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:46 pm 

Hey gang!

Long time reader, first time poster, amateur/beginning blogger! Great to be here.

My two small questions are these - I'd prefer to use the code section of the Writing template when I'm writing my posts, but whenever I save my draft WP seems to be doing funky things with my line breaks. What do you all use for line breaks? <br />, <p></p>, or do you stick with just writing normally in the Visual tab? My one attempt at just writing normally in the visual tab resulted in the same problem with WP gobbling up my paragraph seperations. Does anyone else have problems with this?

The second question I seem to have forgotten, but I'm sure I'll remember it soon. Thanks for the help!

Bartolo

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:56 pm 

Server: Scarlet Crusade (US)
Great question. One of the addons that Phae and I have found that preserves your formating exactly is Alex King's WP Unformatted. You can find it on his website here. http://alexking.org/projects/wordpress

From his description:

Quote:
Description: With this enabled, you can add a custom field of 'sponge' set to '1' to a post to disable the auto formatting and a custom field of 'sandpaper' set to '1' to a post to disable the auto smart-quote conversion.

Um. I think that's what you're talking about. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 am 

Thanks a ton! I just remembered my second question, but I think it may be related to my first, since it's also about line breaks: when I tab from code to visual, it does the same thing, undoing some line breaks, leaving others, its sorta weird. Maybe this plugin will do the trick. I'll keep you all posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:08 am 

A ha! I just remembered my *real* second question:

Is there any way to control how big of a buffer I can put around images I place within my post? So the text doesn't run exactly right up to the image?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:03 am 

Bartolo wrote:
A ha! I just remembered my *real* second question:

Is there any way to control how big of a buffer I can put around images I place within my post? So the text doesn't run exactly right up to the image?

That aspect is controlled in your presentation -> template -> style.css part. Look for something that says "img" in the stylesheet. You'll need to change the padding or the margin. I can't remember which.

img {

padding: 5 5 5 5;
margin: 5 5 5 5;
}

Of course, I may be totally wrong.

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:02 am 

Server: Arthas
Imagine a box around the image you're using. Margins are the space around the outside of your image before the box starts while padding is the space outside the box before other things start.

Post subject: the fix
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 pm 

Hey bartolo, since you're writing for our blog it sho is funny posting a reply here instead of contacting you directly. But this might help others so here goes.

The problem is actually that when moving between visual and code post editors the <br> and <p> tags get removed. This may be due to a plug in installation or something, as some ppl claim on other wp forums.

Also, since after you bring up a draft post it automatically brings you into the visual editor, youre going to get the formatting removed. Same thing if you preview your post. When you jump back you're in visual so bye bye formatting.

To fix this get rid of the visual editor. That thing is for noobs anyway. You're hard core. You can handle it.

Log in to wp-admin. Go to the users tab and then the "your profile" sub-tab. There you can uncheck the "visual editor" box and pat yourself on the back for being such a hardcore leetist that you no longer need the visual editor. : )