Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blogging Map needs your input
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:05 pm 

Server: The Venture Co.
Hi folks,

So Larisa and Syl had the idea of making a map that shows where all us bloggers come from in real life, and they sent the idea to us at MMO Melting Pot to get running.

I'm looking into getting it set up over this week. Earlier today I posted about it with a couple of questions for any blogger who's interested in being put on the map. And let's face it - unless you tell me the info, I can't include you on the map. Unless I do some seriously shifty and uncomfortable stuff with google, which none of us want to get into!

Here's the gist of what I posted, and what I need to know:

Community map – where we are around the world? – This is an idea from Larisa and Syl who thought we should get it running here at the Pot. Basically, a map pinpointing where all the bloggers are around the world. I think it’s a great idea. It doesn’t have to be game specific – in fact, it shouldn’t be game-specific. It’s for all bloggers to get ‘on the map’ if they want to. I’m currently looking into websites that would allow me to create such a map – unfortunately Frappr shut down so I’m looking for other options. What I’d like from you is:

* If you’re a blogger I need to know where you live. Mwhahahha. No really, only so I can add you to the map and I don’t need all the details. Just your country, (and if you’re in the US your state), and preferably city as well as a lot of maps seem to want to place markers on specific cities. If you blog by your real name I’d suggest also submitting a psydonym.
* Do you prefer a map that shows our country or our city in that country? I don’t think any harm will come of a city-specific map (you all know I live in Edinburgh and I haven’t had bouquets of flowers turn up yet. Well, once, but that was Hugh’s initiative) but if you’re really uncomfortable with that idea and want us to try to find a country-focused map to use (if such a thing exists), let us know. (ideas for sites that do this kind mapping thing, like Frappr used to do, also welcome).
--

Of course, if you don't want to be on the map you don't have to. I'm putting this here to try to get the word out. If you think it's a good idea please pass it on through the blogging community, as it's only going to look cool if we get it to take off and get folks to take part.

Meanwhile, answers to the above questions are welcome, as are suggestions to mapping sites that might be useful. Atm I'm looking at zee maps and google maps.

Hope to hear from you, and hope to see the word spreading. Thanks, guys.

PS - to admins - do you mind if I post about this on the new authors forums when it's ready, please? It'd be cool for them to know it's there and that they can get included on it pretty quick.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Blogging Map needs your input
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:19 pm 

Server: The Sha'tar EU
+1 for this. In every guild I've been in we've done similar (though possibly a bit more specific as they've been close-knit) and our realm forum used to have one before the new BattleNET style wiped the old ones. I'd love to be aware of more British/Western European bloggers (and podcasters), mainly cos they're the easiest to catch in-game and online during the same times I play/blog. It's vague enough to not pinpoint people to specific houses whilst nice enough to know that Blogger X lives around, say, Woking just up the road.