Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reality show guild
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:22 am 

Server: Ner'zhul
I came across this project of Stoneybaby's and thought some of you might be interested.

He's starting a reality web series on end game raiding and is looking for participants. You do need a certain level of end game raiding experience, but the criteria is reasonable. For those of you who enjoy the limelight and are looking for guild (or have another ICC geared character looking for a second guild), definitely check this out.

http://bighitbox.com/bhb/2010/3/9/big-crits-stoneys-new-project.html
http://bigcrits.com/more/join-big-crits.html

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Reality show guild
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:52 am 

Server: The Sha'tar EU
I'm not sure how I feel about this project at the moment, although I will be tracking it with interest. Many of the cornerstones of guild management (a certain level of confidentiality/people management) will be a lot more difficult in a reality show. I'm not sure how GMing and Officering can stand up to a reality TV scrutiny without coming across as pompous or just plain boring. Updating loot tracking systems is not fun. A lot of the tasks involved in officering are not that interesting.

The though processes behind officer/guild decisions? Maybe, but I'm not really sure how compelling this will be. I suppose it depends on the personalities of those 'followed'.

Post subject: Re: Reality show guild
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:09 pm 

Server: Ner'zhul
I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out as well. I've often said there should be a reality tv show about WoW/raiding.

I don't think confidentiality would be an issue, since the people who sign up for the show know they're signing up to be on a show. There is a clause that says they'll accept people who don't want to be followed and would be careful to respect their privacy, though.

I agree that guild officer matters are boring to anyone who's not a guild officer, but it seems like the show is more focused on the raiders themselves, on the interactions between them and on their impressions. Since there is genuine curiosity from the "real world" on gamers (I'm open about my gaming and you wouldn't BELIEVE how many questions I get from IRL people about it), I think Stoney's idea has a lot of potential. Of course, raiding is just a fraction of online gaming, but it's probably the most interesting since progression offers a lot of suspense.

I'd actually love to join in something like this, but I would have to leave my current guild, which doesn't interest me at all.