Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Scr.ee: Tool for Mapping the Blogosphere
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:21 pm 

So I knew about Blog Azeroth because of my days in WoW during Burning Crusade and on when I attempted multiple times to launch my own blog. It never stuck, mostly because my fascination with WoW was dwindling quickly. Despite that I've always had a place for WoW blogs, mostly because they were such a huge influence on how I played my Paladin back in the day.

I've been working quietly and for many months on a tool that's sole purpose is to help bring blogs to the forefront of what people read. Its goal is to change the fragmented and often undiscovered parts of the blogosphere that many of us often find ourselves hidden in.

Basically what http://scr.ee does is introduce #hashtags into your blog (what blogging platform you use...doesn't matter). It uses these as little tracer tags that it then uses to map out what's currently trending. Right now I have about 17 blogs contributing to the current hashtag and you can see from the below picture what a quick peek at it has yielded in terms of trending topics. While most of the blogs currently in the test are "general MMO" blogs, the topics that rise to the top are often (not always) the newest and most happening topics going on. As the sample size gets bigger and bigger, we will likely see a balancing of these trends.

Heres two relevant images;

The above image shows the front page visitors will see when landing on http://scr.ee/.
The below image shows what they'll see (at least for now) when they click into a #hashtag.

A couple things about this peak. One; All of the hashtags are primarily gaming related. I am a gaming blogger (scree.org) and my contacts in the blogging community are nearly entirely all gaming related. The cloud is therefore slightly biased at the moment. That will not always be, though I do intend on segmenting blogs into generic topics for easier discovery. The posts at the top are at the top because those hashtags contain the most recent articles and the most numerous articles. There is a formula which is beyond the scope of this introduction.

I am primarily introducing this tool to you, because I am at a point where I am expanding my test base. I need more bloggers to test the viability of certain systems. If you are interested, feel free to email me; scree@scree.org, Steam message me at TheScree, or Tweet me at @TheScree. You can also reply here as I will monitor this thread for feedback and opinions on this tool.

Please keep in mind that this is a closed beta, and that I am not looking for publicity at this point. I'm looking for testers (specifically bloggers), to help test the viability of the import->monitoring code. Hopefully you get as excited as I am at the prospect of a central hub that scr.ee can provide for discovering other blogs and new topics to talk about. Thank you for any support you guys can provide!

Profile Send private message