Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rambling?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:27 pm 

Server: gul'dan
I am a new WOW blogger who has a whole mess of ideas floating around in my head and I am faced with one problem. I don't want to sound like I am rambling.

To be more specific I am looking to keep my blog clear and organized. But I just can't imagine how when I want to write about EVERYTHING.

I want my blog to be general and broad, but I don't want to loose my readers interest by writing about one thing in one update and then doing a 360 and writing about something else. You guys get what I am saying? If anyone has an advice let me know! My blog is http://themagicseeker.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Rambling?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:14 pm 

Server: Aggramar - US
My two cents:

If the idea of sounding like you're rambling is your biggest fear, then try to outline your posts. Think of the topic you want to work on, then drill it down into different aspects that should be covered. From there, drill it down even further, to illustrate the finer points of each aspect.

Then get a friend (or some other person) with some proofreading ability to look it over. Ask them to pay particular attention to tone and to the structure. Ask them if the post looks like stream-of-consciousness writing, or if it seems well-organized.

One thing to consider, though, is that it's okay if you get off track every once in a while. Unless your intent is to write professionally, your readers will (usually) recognize that you're a human being, and are willing to forgive the occasional transgression. :mrgreen:

Most importantly, write the way you're most comfortable. As time goes on, your skills will improve for the better as long as you're making the effort to steer them in that direction.

WWW Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:11 am 

Server: Azjol-Nerub
I ramble.

Seriously, look at my past 2 weeks of content: Warlock questing, year in review, videos, funny screenshots, making fun of guild members.

Heck, I even have a monthly post dedicated to nothing BUT rambling.

The best advice I can give is to use drafts. I have a lot of ideas floating around, so whenever a good post concept pops up, I make a quick draft of the topic and save it. When it comes time to write a new post, I pull up my drafts, pick one and stick to that topic. That way, I know I'll have a post dedicated to that subject, and won't fear slipping off track and having a post about Death Knight mechanics end up talking about Huntardism because I crossed some wires in my brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:01 pm 

Server: Nazgrel
I ramble too, and my snake oil is really simple.

I re-read after I finish. This takes some ruthlessness, but you gotta cut where you see it. Reading out loud also helps.

But, I use the term snake oil for a reason, your mileage may vary, and sometimes, mine does too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:52 pm 

Server: gul'dan
thanks for all the tips :)

Profile Send private message