Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Changing the aim of a blog?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:21 am 

I recently got into the Beta, and I must say -- the Death Knight is hands down one of the coolest classes I've ever played.

So what do you guys think? Is there any danger is possibly changing the aim of a blog regardless to how new or old it may be? I made a blog post asking any readers that I might have about me giving my usual class input, but from a DK's point of view.

Here's the post:
http://rogueseyeview.blogspot.com/2008/07/oh-sweet-temptation.html

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:04 pm 

If you become deathknight centric change the blog name.

Simple fact is that people are likely to take your articles based on the Rogues view, while a Rogue might offer insight into a tank / other dps class it cannot really shift focus onto that other class without ceasing to be a rogue blog. As a tank I will post articles on every other class, but from the perspective of a tank, I will post articles on the other tank classes as I see them, but I never post a post on a class from their perspective because I can't tell you about it.

As such, if you want to move do so, and go for it, if you want to split focus go for it and change the title. Don't just keep a rogue blog and go DK, thats going to confuse people and be slightly dodgy, if you are a rogue then why do we read your DK insights? surely better to go to a DK player, same thing, my warlock posts, despite me having a warlock character that raids, would be a lot less insightful than my paladin ones because I don't have the experience to draw upon, or the time to put in the effort I did on my Paladin.

So stick to what you want to be, but focus on it, if you want to go split focus let people know what you are doing and make it clear up front, you don't go to plusheal.com for advice on tanking, you go to maintankadin or tankspot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 pm 

Right, I was going to change the name of the blog if I did so. I was just curious about any inherent dangers of changing the aim of the blog, but I'm guessing if I really commit to it 100% (as I'd planned) I could make it work.

I had planned on being a melee DPS DK, so I would still be sitting in almost the same shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:08 am 

It's a good thing I wrote about this very topic!

From the end excerpt:

Quote:
So for all of you potential bloggers out there, keep these ideas in mind when you first start writing. If you pick a brand and a name that’s distinctly associated with a class, you will find it hard to shift later on down the road when you’ve already established yourself as an authority in said class. If you don’t have a problem with that, then by all means feel free to continue.

I just want to repeat myself and say that there is nothing wrong with changing your focus if you can plan for it accordingly.

But if you do plan to change, expect a pretty hefty uphill battle as you may lose some readers. It could take some time to re-establish your audience numbers to what it was before the swap.

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:02 pm 

Server: Nagrand
I agree that changing a blog which is dedicated to a class or concept would be hard; I also think that the wider community would be open to odd posts about a 2nd love.

Keep the Rogue information flowing, and add DK if you find yourself really enjoying them too. I suppose you could start a 2nd blog, but I think the readers will follow you as an author if they like your material.

Be nice to have a blogpost that can cross-post between several blogs configured by the same user. We do this with news items in websites, and clients really like it.

http://typhoonandrew.wordpress.com