Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie Commentary?
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:41 pm 

Server: Moon Guard
I was posting on the Getting Started forum today and came across a topic that might be interesting. Here's the link to the thread, but I'll copy/paste the OP here:

Quote:
Hey forum, Often i see COD (call of Duty) commentary on youtube and hardly any for wow. It seems like the COD community is more connected and i know watching someone shoot other people may be more fun to watch than a boss fight but when voice is added and tips and tricks are added i think it could be a great thing and possibly even catch on.

So my question is, I was wondering if anyone is interested in a Resto shaman guide and help video's. It would be sort of like Call of Duty Commentary but with helpful tips and guidance to a variety of players all levels all ages and all skill level, assuming your a shaman. I would throw videos on youtube where i would answer all your question help you and what not.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any resto shaman videos for the poster, but this sounds like a neat idea. Does anyone do these regularly for various things? It could be on using the AH, picking professions, teaching what gear helps a certain class, etc. I know I'd be all for watching videos like this (I'm failing on my hunter alt and need lessons) since you could play it in the background while you're playing WoW and get the appropriate commentary, but you could alt-tab back out to get the visual reference as well, making it a little more visually educational than a regular podcast. The idea is the same as our boss fight videos already, but on a more newbie-friendly scale.

I'd be up for making some or doing this as a blogging event, but I'm not sure if anyone does these already or if it's a good/bad idea. Input?

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Newbie Commentary?
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:48 pm 

Server: Illidan
There are actually quite a few folks that operate solely on YouTube posting game guides. Kripparrian, one of the top DPS Hunters in the US, is a good example of this.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:56 pm 

Server: Defias Brotherhood
I sometimes makes commentaries (well, two), but its difficult to talk about a specific fight and not sound like Tankspot :P My videos are more like vidcasts, where I talk about some random stuff over some random video.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:15 pm 

Server: US-Zangarmarsh
Not necessarily helpful... but I am working on one or two good ol' fashion riffings of some of the Start Zones.

...Well I suppose they kinda show you where to go. For like the first six levels... No, not really helpful at all.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:03 am 

Ya i have also seen lots of commentaries on COD but rarely found one for WOW.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:55 pm 

Server: Feathermoon
I think part of the reason is that CoD is a much more active game. It's easier to comment on kills/deaths/adrenaline pumping moments than it is to try to make killing 30 clefthoofs roaming all around nagrand.

Even our most intense experiences in raiding rarely are good commenting material given how long most fights take, while there might be a couple of adrenaline inducing moments 'take went down, dps popped 'dont' die cooldowns and managed to keep it going long enough for the battle ress to go off.'

While you could do tutorials, for the most part I feel WoW doesn't need them, it's got a fairly simplistic interface and a lot of it's launch charm was it's pick up and playability. While getting really good at WoW takes a lot of research and knowhow, figuring out your 3 buttons on a level 10 shaman isn't too bad.

You could make videos aimed at fresh 80's, but hopefully by then they have some feelieng for the community as a whole and know to sneak to places like tankspot or elitist jerks.

Just my opinion though, could be wrong.