Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Melee DPS How do i play it how do i understand it
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:53 am 

Server: Thorium Brotherhood (US)
Hey everyone i started playing and raiding with melee DPS and then Tank and finally healer Range DPS is my fav followed by tank but with melee dps i'm so lost in group situation i feel like i die so quickly without the armour the tank has or anything

I'm also a bit dissappointed and looking for a new guild on my alliance server Thorium brotherhood if anyone knows one.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Melee DPS How do i play it how do i understand it
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:17 am 

Server: Illidan
The thing I found to be most important to playing melee is that positioning is key. That cannot be overstated. As a tank, you have the luxury of deciding not only where to position yourself, but also the boss (and subsequently, your melee players). As a melee player, you're subject to the whims of both boss/mobs and the tank.

First: you always want to position yourself behind whatever you're attacking. That prevents you from taking unnecessary frontal AoE damage. Second: you want to be aware of what the boss/mob is doing at all times. For example, you want to watch for cleaves and whirlwinds, as those two things alone rip through melee like paper. Third: always be mindful of your threat. It's a lot easier for melee to pull aggro than it is for ranged to do the same, so any threat dumping or passing abilities you have should be used early and often. Finally, be aware that all tanks are not created equal and some are not aware of the necessity of kiting some bosses/mobs (or they're simply too lazy to bother) so that melee are not forced to stand in the nasty. If you run into a tank that's just leaving a boss/mob standing in a puddle of yuck, you have to move out of it (with the caveat that it's possible to stay in provided either your healer can keep up with the damage or your collective DPS is strong enough to bulldoze over it before the damage becomes overwhelming to the healer).

Melee is, by necessity, often an extremely mobile style of play. If you don't enjoy very mobile fights, then melee is probably not for you.

Post subject: Re: Melee DPS How do i play it how do i understand it
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:37 pm 

Server: Thorium Brotherhood (US)
I enjoy it but fights like Sapp i'm dpsing hm from the side or KT who always i swear always one shots me :( it's just sometimes gets to me especially since on the same toon i can tank the first 2 wings of ICC