Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Use Analytics to get Blogging Ideas?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:17 pm 

Server: Silvermoon
Okay not sure if this is for blog storming or not but I'm going to let you guys know what I do mostly to get blogging ideas for my rogue blog. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out your audience, what is simple and brainless for you may not be so for them and vice versa.

Now since I want my blog to be successful I have been keeping a close eye on it using Google Analytics. One feature of Google Analytics is to show you all the keywords people used to find your blog using Search Engines and whether or not they stayed after visiting your website to check out the rest of your blog or if they just "bounced" right back off your blog.

So every so often I trawl through these keywords and look for interesting ones that I feel would make a reasonable blog post or one that I could use to create something new etc. Usually I look out for keywords that you don't normally find answers for around the Internet (something unique), and/or ones where the user searched for that keyword, found my website but then bounced off because the answer to their question wasn't there. I then make a blog post to answer said question and therefore future users looking for that information will not have the trauma the original user did.

So for example the blog post Are Spell Hit and Melee Hit Different Stats? came from the search string that was something like "Is melee and spell hit the same thing?". I currently have 1740 different keywords/phrases that people have searched for in order to get to my blog ranging form 60 unique visits per keyword to just one per keyword. All in all, I have a big backlog of blog posts to do so I never get them all done, I just get as many done as I can.

I would highly recommend checking out what your users are searching for, it'll give you tonnes of helpful blog post ideas. :)

WWW Profile Send private message