Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Free blogs for WoW players
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 am 

Server: Wyrmrest Accord
I just had an idea today. Wouldn't it be neat if WoW bloggers could have blogs that are more tailored to them? The bloggers who don't already have self-hosted blogs that is.

My thought is that I could setup Wordpress MU on a WoW-related domain name and allow free sign-ups. Users could have their own subdomain name, and I would install a bunch of WoW themes and plugins to choose from.

I have the hosting all set to do it. As for a domain name, I could get a free .co.cc domain. Something like wowlog.co.cc. If there is enough interest, I would contemplate purchasing a .com or .net domain.

So...opinions? Comments? Questions? Am I just crazy for thinking this would work?

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Free blogs for WoW players
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 am 

Server: Nagrand
Well, I think you're possibly preaching to the converted here since most BA readers already have a blog of some sort ;) but I think it's a great idea and a good option for those people looking to start up a new one!

Let us know if you decide to do it, I'm sure people will lend a hand with promotion if you need it :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:09 pm 

The idea was that it would actually be for existing bloggers just as much as new ones. For those people who are tired of Blogspot/Wordpress.com but don't have the money and/or know-how to setup their own self-hosted blog.

It is possible to migrate your blog. I've done it with my own (Wordpress.com to self-hosted Wordpress) and just recently I helped my friend Kazi move from Blogspot to Wordpress that I hosted for him. He went from http://totemsandtechnology.blogspot.com/ to http://totemtech.co.cc/. Excluding the theme customizing I did for him, it took us only a couple hours to move him over.

But alas, I've found out that my host doesn't support Wordpress MU because of the potential resource overload it could have with enough sign-ups. I could still host individual blogs if anyone was interested, it would just involve a more manual approach on my part.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm 

Server: Ghostlands EU
I've seen this kind of thing before for other subjects and it might work. I have seen people using them. It really depends on the people and whether they know about it or not. Some bloggers like to customise and make their space their own, moreso than they could do with a premade theme that you're describing. Some would like it, some wouldn't. I couldn't say how many would use it. All you could do is poll it or try it..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:25 pm 

Since Wordpress MU is not longer an option, there wouldn't be just premade themes. By me doing it manually, a blogger could customize their own themes and plugins to their heart's content, even more than you can already do for Blogspot and Wordpress.com. Because I'm the one controlling the hosting, there's much more flexibility in what you could do, and I would be easier to contact for help than the bigger blogging software companies.

*shrugs* But if that's not what people are looking for, then I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and providing this service to my friends. I just thought I'd let this community know that I'm willing to do this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:56 pm 

Server: Moonrunner-US
I think there's a good chance that you'd have some interest. I'm at the wall for what I can do with wordpress/blogger, but I'm not quite ready to hop into self-hosted either. I think it's a good idea, and a nice gesture :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:57 pm 

Windsoar wrote:
I think there's a good chance that you'd have some interest. I'm at the wall for what I can do with wordpress/blogger, but I'm not quite ready to hop into self-hosted either. I think it's a good idea, and a nice gesture :)

Thank you. :) I'd have no problem helping people with the transition, especially if they'd be willing to learn and not just want me to do it all for them. It's so much more rewarding that way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm 

Server: Ghostlands EU
Oh it's definitely something worth looking into, I never said it wouldn't! :) If I wasn't already hosted or lost my hosting for some reason I would be interested but I can't speak on behalf of everybody because I have no idea what other people would want ^^