Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Post on RL Age
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:35 pm 

I did a post on player age based on an emotional response a friend of mine had in response to finding out that his adult-only guild was accepting younger members: http://blogofcorruption.blogspot.com/20 ... again.html

I'm curious of anyone else has any thoughts on this.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Post on RL Age
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:52 pm 

Server: Ravenholdt
This is an interesting post, and one that its something that I think about everyday. My guild is small and we don't recruit often, however we don't have an age limit. The Guild leader simply questions him and if he feels the character/player is mature enough, then he will be permitted join.

As for certain RP Situations, I have never and probably will never participate in something like that, however I can see where you are coming from.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 am 

Andracon wrote:
The Guild leader simply questions him and if he feels the character/player is mature enough, then he will be permitted join.

That's what we do, too. We used to just have an in-character interview but now people are required to fill out an application on the forums. For the most part this method works well. For the most part.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 pm 

Server: The Venture Co. eu
Good topic,

Most of us in our guild are a bit older than your average wow player, we have families, full time jobs or studies, or generally things that fill our time up and make it important for us that the time we do set aside we can spend it with like minded people who can hold an adult conversation.

We dont have a set age limit but we are pretty upfront with people about what goes on in our guild and we have a responsability to not allow younger players to be involved in some of our more adult discussions or joking. We have a lot of parents in the guild including myself and when my daughter is old enough to play MMO's i would want to think other people are being thoughtful of that, i know it's unlikely to happen but it doesnt stop us trying.

Our guild chat can be full of a few dodgy references to various adult activites, drinking and some pretty funny buy adult humour, it's just not a place for kids.

Add on top of that the fact that we often raid late and we dont really like to keep the kids up past their bedtime and make them fail exams etc and also leave in the middle of a few attempts because they are told it's bedtime by their parents and have to call the raid.

We also find in general (their are exceptions so dont take this the wrong way) most younger players are a bit too focussed on their own leet skills and thinking they are in god mode that it annoys the hell out of us. I'm all for a bit of showing off and a big smug grin but lets do it in a way that doesnt make us look like a complete idiot and put anyone else down.

We ask the questions up front about these issues and what their rl age is and then go from there and get to know people and decide on their individual case. But those are our main concerns.

Hope that wasnt too long of an answer, i got carried away!!

Profile Send private message