Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roster for Sunday show Feb 3rd - please respond!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:38 pm 

Okay, as of right now, based mostly on timestamps from forum posts, emails I've gotten, and effort on others part to help organize this, here is the roster of folks for Sunday, in order of 'if you wanna come, claim your spot'.

BigBear butt
Galadria
Matticus
Anglachel
Fumbleknock
Behemothdan
Pelides

I also need to hear from who specifically is volunteering to do the Producing of the final podcast. I had thought it was Game Dame, but I haven't heard from that fair lady since she offered to service... I mean, since she offered her services to the cause.

Since the only true time restriction at this point in time Is Galadria, IF she responds that she is going to do it, then I suggest a start time of 5:30 Central Time, or whenever the soonest she can start would be. If she can't make it, we'll find a better time that day.

Respond here if you are claiming your spot. If there is no response by Saturday afternoon, then your spot goes to the next person down the line.

I hate to make decisions like this, because everyone should get a chance to participate that wants to. But I am consoling myself with the thought that this is just the very first one; there is always next week, and I will be willing to give up my slot whenever I can get soeone to take it. I'll say it again... I've done WoW podcasts, I have had my time in the limelight, I want other bloggers to get theirs.

How many will be on the show? Honestly, I think 3 is good and solid, and probably will feel crowded as it is... but I think that we can figure out a way to work it so three are starting, do round table, and during the show we call on a special guest to give us their perspective on a issue in blogging or in the game. If we do that, conceivably we could even have two or three main talkers and three or four 'special segments' given by other bloggers.

So lets see those sign ups!

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:29 pm 

Server: Illidan (US)
If it gets to me, I can make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:42 pm 

I am definitely going to be there.

/claimed

-Fumbleknock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:05 pm 

Superbowl will be on in the background, but I will be present yes.

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:21 pm 

Sorry guys, I was having so much trouble just keeping up with the reading that I never got around to posting.

I can definitely help with the production, but would like it if we could chat about the details first. (And by "chat" I mean a realtime text or voice chat with interaction and stuff!)

Questions I have:
  • How will the recording happen?
  • Who will be doing the recording?
  • What kind of post-production are you expecting (e.g., music, etc.)
  • When do you want the post-production finished by?
  • Do we have a distribution plan, if so what is it? (e.g., iTunes or whatnot)
  • Do we have a plan to market the podcast? If not, do we want one?

Sorry if I'm behind the power curve on this one. If these questions have already been answered, feel free to email me and chew me out. thegamedame [@] gmail.com

Also, I do have a Super Bowl commitment on Sunday, so I'm hoping that someone can do the recording and I'll step up to do the post-production??

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:54 pm 

Fumbleknock had said he was working on a intro music.

We are each recording it seperately with Audacity, and then will uplod it to the producer via a large file upload service. final production should be taking recorded MP3 tracks and mixing them together, and putting the intro in front.

I was expecting to put on iTunes, someone had said they knew how. I guess I can go check that process too.

As far as marketing it, I think that we can do so on our blogs, and ask all bloggers interested in the blogcast, or who will be on it, to give it a plug on their sites... after its available, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:03 pm 

BigBearButt wrote:
Fumbleknock had said he was working on a intro music.

We are each recording it seperately with Audacity, and then will uplod it to the producer via a large file upload service. final production should be taking recorded MP3 tracks and mixing them together, and putting the intro in front.

I was expecting to put on iTunes, someone had said they knew how. I guess I can go check that process too.

As far as marketing it, I think that we can do so on our blogs, and ask all bloggers interested in the blogcast, or who will be on it, to give it a plug on their sites... after its available, of course.

This sounds great. Audacity's perfect. Let me know where the uploads will be. I can mix them, no problem. I can also help with the marketing part -- iTunes, whatever.

I'm on the case!

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:54 pm 

This is an excellent idea! Can't wait for the first one. Once you get it done I will gladly plug it on my site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 pm 

I finished the intro. It's kinda rough, and the HGTTG clip may be unnecessary, so if you want it taken out, let me know!

http://fumbleknokk.podbean.com/2008/02/ ... oth-intro/

Podbean seems like a good site to use for this actually.

www.podbean.com

-"Knock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am 

Fumbleknock, I can't get it to play. Anyone else have the same problem? Also, I need to find a way to download it for production.

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:57 am 

Edit: They may have moved raid time, I will post here tomorow as soon as I know what time I will be available

I am in! Not so much interested in the Super Bowl, so I will be there. We will be raiding from 1 to aprox 4 on Sunday... since this will be Kael attempts I think a good hour onto the end of that should give me time. If I'm running really late, I'll send you an e-mail BBB and let you know what my situation is.

It would be really helpful for me to get a list of possible topics so I can ponder and mull over them for the next 24 hours or so. I know this may depend on who is participating, but I just don't want to sound like a complete noob :-)

Am I remembering correctly that I'm going to need Skype, Audacity, and a plug-in for Audacity? I'd like to get my computer set up tomorow so I'm not frazzled on Sunday.

If it's easier to e-mail me details galadriapriest@gmail.com

Looking forward to it!

"By the light of Elune!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:28 pm 

Game Dame wrote:
Fumbleknock, I can't get it to play. Anyone else have the same problem? Also, I need to find a way to download it for production.

are you using a mac or PC?

there's a download button underneath it that should work.

[EDIT]: same problem came up for me too, I will email it to you Game Dame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:57 pm 

All right, then it's set in stone.

Show Producer;
Game Dame

Round Table BSing;
BBB
Matt
Gala

Special guests for 5 minutes segments;
Fumble
Behemoth

So we need a list of topics for the round table, and Fumble and Behemoth need to tell us on what topic they want to talk about for 5 minutes or so.

At the moment, from using the differetn services, I'm leaning towards FileFront for uploading our files.

There is no size limitation, it's free, and we can put the link to each of our uploads in this thread.

So... we need topics, we need Skype IDs emailed to bigbearbuttedone@yahoo.com, and I need YOU to be on Skype ready for my initiaiting the conference call at or around 5PM central time.

Okay? See ya then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:35 pm 

BigBearButt wrote:
Special guests for 5 minutes segments;
Fumble
Behemoth

So we need a list of topics for the round table, and Fumble and Behemoth need to tell us on what topic they want to talk about for 5 minutes or so.

FYI, someone might need to email Behemoth. He may no longer be checking the forums here because yesterday he wrote this:
http://qqpewpew.blogspot.com/2008/02/bl ... ffect.html

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:40 pm 

Well, since he hasn't bothered to share his opinion here for us to actually talk about, I will. And if I get banned from these forums for my attitude, so be it.

And when I am pissed in this post, keep in mind, I am talking to behemothdan.

And I am doing it here rather than in his comments section, because I do not shit in someone else's blog. Here, it's easy enough for Phaelia or Valenna just to delete my post.

On his blog, Behemothdan said;

Quote:
Another example is the Blogcasting Azeroth. Has anyone even stopped to ask what the content of the show is going to be about? So far Galadria is the only person in the respective thread who has even mentioned it. So far it seems most people in support of it are doing so because they want to get their name out, similar to the blogroll and residual readership problem. No one seems concerned about providing quality information, or even bothered to check to see if they have any knowledge about the topics supposedly being discussed.

This from someone whose contributions to the conversation so far in this forum, was to say that they wouldn't hate participating, and that they can show up on Sunday. No suggestions on topics, no questions on the format or anything.

I could ask which people are only selfishly involved in this to get their name out, but I don't really care what the hell he thinks about it at this point.

I didn't want to be in this show in the first place. I still don't want to be in this. I do not want to be taking up a spot in the show that another blogger could have, a blogger that has not had the fun of being involved in a stimulating conversation with other people about shared interests.

And I have said so repeatedly. I'm doing this because not one other person has stepped up to take an organizational or leadership roll in moving the podcast forward. And I keep praying that someone will before Sunday, so that I don't take that space up.

There are far too many bloggers, most of whom, frankly, are smarter than me, whose opinions I would love to hear. Shit, get Siha, Pelides, One Among Many, Anglachel, Trackhoof, Bellwether, Kirk, Mooire or Positive Warrior in this thing. I've been on one already, and nobody needs to hear my dumbass for the fourth time.

This first run I had to choose from among those who responded specifically about this Sunday. And I tried to do so fairly. If anyone that is going to be on that list wants to take my spot, so the next one down the list can move up, PLEASE DO SO!!! PLEASE!

I had the idea for an independant blogger podcast, and mentioned it specifically because I thought it would be fun, and because I think the idea of a wide variety of bloggers sharing their own unique views on things in WoW and blogging would be fascinating and fun to listen to.

You remember what fun is? It's why I had thought we all blogged in the first place?

We haven't talked about topics for the show? What topics did YOU suggest, Behemothdan? Where was your input?

My very last post was to ask, now that we know who is going to be in this show, what topics those involved want to talk about. Because my point of view was it is asinine to talk about what our 'topics to discuss' will be until we know who is in that show... because the show is all about the people in that particular show, and thier interests and knowledge base.

I have tried to bring up what format to do this in, but not the subjects themselves. Why have an 'addon' section set in stone if no one on the show gives a damn or knows anything about addons? Why have a wordpress tips and tricks section if it turns out everyone on that show uses blogspot?

Sure, we could have come up with some generic questions... some were mentioned in previous threads.

But since I was stuck organising the thing, I took things in the order that I thought important... and now that we have the first crew, my mind ticked to the next item on the checklist... finding out what topics the crew involved wants to talk about on this show, that will take about an hour to cover.

And since I was stuck organizing this thing, I tried to come up with a way to get the most bloggers involved as possible, so it was more about a section of the community than about a little subsection of lthe same folks.

Since of the podcasts I listen to, I think those with more than three active talkers at one time are too confusing for me to follow, I made the executive decision that I'd have three on 'round table' discussions, but that I'd ask two more bloggers to be on, that can each have a segment to talk about what they want. So 5 bloggers on one one-hour podcast.

Not bad, especially if someone else takes over as recurring host, and the four other people change each time. Lots of bloggers can get involved... and the community as a whole will be represented.

Does the tone of this come across as me being pissed off? Well, good, because I am. I was really looking forward to this Sunday, in my naive little innocent shell, thinking that everyone was enthusiastic about chatting. I thought this was taking off. My only concern was the lack of interaction on ideas that I was seeing here. The time for the show is coming down to the wire, guys. I had hoped that somone that would be on the show would come forward to say, "Well, I'd like to talk about ....", once everyone knew they were in.

I think Fumbleknock has done an awesome job of coming forward and taking the initiative to make an intro.

I think it is awesome Game Dame is volunteering to take the time to put the show together.

I thought the response we'd gotten from some bloggers, even though maybe only 15 or 20 people out of the 150+ bloggers registered showed interest, was still pretty damn cool for a first try. Adn once there is actually a process, and a show, I imagined that more folks would come and volunteer to be on. Maybe enough that someone that wants to do it on a weeknight or morning could lead one.

Basically, I thought that this was all good, and no taint of bullshit was in any part of it.

Gee, no one has bothered to check the bloggers' credentials to see if they know what they're talking about? Really? How would that fucking work?

Yeah, I'm really going to tell someone that writes a blog about WoW that they aren't good enough to be on a show of bloggers talking about blogging about WoW.

And if I was the kind of person that would make personal judgments of others' quality of work, I can just IMAGINE what you would QQ about THAT.

I don't know what it says about you that you think I should make some kind of judgment, but I can tell you, the idea never even occured to me.

It was enough for me that the person write a blog about WoW, and be enthusiastic about the idea. I did check to see if the person really did have a blog. Everyone that showed interest did. Some of them were fairly new, but you know what? Who gives a shit? They were all good. INCLUDING YOURS. I may be pissed, but I still think you have a damn good blog.

And the worst part is, as pissed as I am and as much as this bullshit ruins the happy optimistic mood I had about this project, I can't just get pissy and wash my hands of it, because I respect the efforts and enthusiasm the other bloggers have shown for it, and the commitments they've made to make this first one.

And I don't give a flying fuck what you say, I STILL can't see any indication that anyone involved is only concerned about getting their name out there.

Now I'm heading out to shop for necessities. And when I get back, I'll find out whether I'm banned or not, or if I'm flamed from hell.

But one thing I always promised... right or wrong, I say exactly what I'm thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:40 pm 

I've got some topics on the backburner already that I've already forwarded to you. Still thinking of some more.

Most cardinal rule of podcasting: Never do it on the fly blind without a list of stuff.

Edit: TOTALLY did not see the post above me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:17 pm 

BBB: I completely understand why you're angry. I want to register my apology for slacking on my "producer" role. My work life was a mess last week but I should've carved out more time anyway. If you guys want me to "really" produce the thing, I can come up with topics and a time line and a rotating schedule of guests. I can take all that over from you, no problem. You put all the work/heart into the podcast project only for someone who didn't contribute to complain about it. I'm sorry for the part I played in the burden you felt over the podcast.

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:35 pm 

You know, for the past week I've been struggling and struggling trying to think of something that bloggers could talk about.

But then Blizzard did a nice awesome job and came out with one we could talk about. We could take a look at the projected patch notes that came out and discuss what kind of an impact it will have and our opinions of them.

Figure that'll be about oh... 10 minutes.

Again, sorry B, I'm going to try and take a more active role in this as well. I'd like to see it go somewhere. I'm willing to be a recurring regular host. Heck I already do that in my Starcraft podcast. I probably have WAY more time then most people do. Although I think someone else should step up to the plate aside from me, I'm perfectly willing and able to.

But I'm not going to lie. It's going to need help. I'm only a guy with ideas and a mic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:11 am 

Here's my two cents on the matter:

I would be more than happy to lead this, to spearhead and direct its every move, and edit it if necessary, but my schedule really doesn't allow for that kind of commitment. I would be willing to co-lead, generating discussion topics and doing some organization, but I couldn't do more than that. I wish that I could, but school and other responsibilities do not allow for it.

I believe that communication was a bit off from the beginning in the way that maybe BBB did not make it clear enough that he was really trying to empower less-known WoW bloggers to get their voices heard, not lead the whole thing.

I would say that now that BBB has given us a complete picture of the role that he wants on the show, we should be able to lead where he doesn't want to.

Let's just try to chill out a bit, though. :wink:

-Fumbleknock

[BTW, you can dowlload the intro at this link
http://files.filefront.com/Blogcasting+ ... einfo.html ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:38 pm 

Podcast cancelled and postponed

Unfortunately, the culmination of real life has once again taken the toll on all of us. It's a shame we'll have to postpone the cast when it's set to go off within the next 6 hours, but something has come up for me. With the timing of my withdrawal so close to the shoot and after speaking to BBB, we virtually decided that it would not be fair for him to scramble volunteers within the next 4ish or so hours. It's just about logistically impossible and I don't wish to bear him the stress after the effort he's put in.

My reason for withdrawal is in no way related to the super bowl.

Honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 pm 

Unfortunately, I agree.

I know that my wife was unhappy with the scheduling of the show tonight, so there willb e few tears shed here about ahving to reschedule it.

I just hope that we can get another mutually agreed on time quick, cause this getting gamers to be available for an hour is like herding cats.

I think we all know why... if we have an hour free, tahts an hour we could be playing.

Amiright?

let me know if a weeknight works, other than Tuesday for me anyway. Or next weekend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:20 pm 

Sorry guys. I had a work emergency that I had to take care of Friday through Sunday so I was unable to even check in here to see what was going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:15 pm 

I would suggest 5:30 Central on friday for the make-up recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:48 pm 

May I make a suggestion? Let's get a Google shared calendar going for the meeting times. I know that makes everyone get a Google account, but it might be the best way to handle this type of large-scale coordination. We'd get RSVPs, can check time zones, etc.

I'm going to create a calendar and then post the information on a separate thread.

aka Natalie