Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Few .com and Gravatar questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:54 pm 

Server: Terokkar EU
Hello,

I'd really appreciated help on this - is there any way on WP.com to show posts in truncated version? What I mean is displaying just like 1-2 paragraphs on the first page, while the rest of the article would be accesible through some "Read More" clicking?
Quote:
Just managed to sort this one. The feature that I thought was doing that did it. It just wasn't showing in preview.

Next up is my qestion how, if at all, does WP.com sorts out archive - I know there is "Search archive" widget available in my theme, but so far no idea how to "move" posts into archive.
Shawnosaurus wrote:
You set how many posts to display on your blog in your settings menu. Technically everything is in archive as far as search results, etc are concerned. You never need to move anything, it just eventually scrolls off the front page (depending on your # of posts to display setting). You can view older posts by searching, tags, categories, the archive month, the calendar and probably some other way I am forgetting.

Third and last question - although both my Gravatar and blog pics are set to the same image of shaman by nadou, in the Gravatar widget on my front page, as well as while commenting, it stubbornly shows that one crappy ornament - http://www.blueberrytotem.wordpress.com for illustration.
Quote:
Solved this too - obviously my Gravatar was 18+ rated so was not showing on most sites. D'oh.

Thanks for any replies and help.

PS: If I ever decide to upgrade to self-hosting, I just buy webspace and upload WP.org templates to have a working blog site?

Last edited by BlueberryTotem on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Few .com and Gravatar questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:32 pm 

Server: Terenas
You set how many posts to display on your blog in your settings menu. Technically everything is in archive as far as search results, etc are concerned. You never need to move anything, it just eventually scrolls off the front page (depending on your # of posts to display setting). You can view older posts by searching, tags, categories, the archive month, the calendar and probably some other way I am forgetting.

http://twitter.com/wtfcraft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm 

Server: Ner'zhul
BlueberryTotem wrote:
Third and last question - although both my Gravatar and blog pics are set to the same image of shaman by nadou, in the Gravatar widget on my front page, as well as while commenting, it stubbornly shows that one crappy ornament - http://www.blueberrytotem.wordpress.com for illustration.

If you've set it using WP's Gravatar settings, a lot of the work is done for you, so it might be harder to snipe the problem. For the rest of us, we have to head to Gravatar's website and register them there. From there, the comment section knows your Gravatar by the required email address your users have to enter. For you posting on your own page, it'll just use the email address you have set within WP. If you've changed the email address in your WP settings, that might've caused a bit of confusing in the system.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:27 am 

skipcocoa wrote:
If you've set it using WP's Gravatar settings, a lot of the work is done for you, so it might be harder to snipe the problem. For the rest of us, we have to head to Gravatar's website and register them there. From there, the comment section knows your Gravatar by the required email address your users have to enter. For you posting on your own page, it'll just use the email address you have set within WP. If you've changed the email address in your WP settings, that might've caused a bit of confusing in the system.

Neither of those. The email in use is linked to the gravatar I want. Checking on Gravatar site, it is showing the one I set. But whenever I am commenting or anything, default WP avatar is showing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 am 

Figured out the Gravatar issue too *blush*

Got another question:

Does WP.com support mouseover WowHead links? And if it does, how can you do that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:04 am 

Server: US-Zangarmarsh
BlueberryTotem wrote:
Got another question:

Does WP.com support mouseover WowHead links? And if it does, how can you do that?

Sadly, WP.com doesn't. They don't allow javascript (or iframes or embeds for that matter) for security reasons. (Whole things here: http://en.support.wordpress.com/code/ )

However, you can add them to self hosted Wordpress sites.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:56 am 

Thanks for the reply!